Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Third Culture Kid

Just a little about me.  I've decided to write this blog about traveling, living, and cooking overseas.  Most of my life I have lived outside of the US, which has led me to realize that we do things differently outside of America than when we are in America.

 I have grown up as a military brat, and therefore a Third Culture Kid, or for short, a TCK. According to Pollock and Van Reken, authors of Third Culture Kids: Growing Up Among Worlds, "TCKs are children who grow up or spend a significant part of their childhood living abroad." (My mom and some of her friends read this book, you can buy it on Amazon)

Until I was in high school I did not realize that there were people going through the same confusion I was.  Although I love my home state of California, and my family that lives there, I never felt quite like it was "home." I didn't have stories about all of the people I knew since they were toddlers. I was always the new kid in school.  I didn't think the same way as my classmates, the world was much bigger for me.  It was mind-blowing for me that students in my North Carolina classroom did not believe that I spoke Japanese or hadn't lived in a house for more than two years.  Then I went to international school in Tbilisi, Georgia.  That's where I found out that there were other people who thought and spoke more like I did.  I was still different from them, they hadn't grown up on military bases, but I had more in common with the students at that school than any of my school friends in the US.

This realization made me happy.  I finally understood there was nothing wrong with the way I viewed things, but maybe other people think the way I look at the world is interesting, so that's why I'm doing this blog. I find a lot of people like travel tips, and I am full of those.  I find that cooking overseas can be different because ingredients aren't always available or affordable, so I have learned substitutes and local dishes that are similar.  Sometimes living overseas can be difficult, so I have learned a few ways to make the experience more enjoyable.  I hope you like the blog and that you find it helpful.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment