Because most of my life I have had the opportunity to live abroad I have discovered a few good tips for traveling. There are the usual ones that everyone recommends: Don't fly wearing metal. Roll your clothes instead of folding them. Wear close toed shoes in case the plane goes down and socks if you don't want to walk bare foot on the airport floor (yuck). Make sure those shoes are easy to get on and off for security (so you aren't that person in line everyone hates). If your bag is too heavy start putting on extra clothes (yes, that can mean eight pairs of underwear, four pairs of socks, two pairs of pants, five shirts, a sweater, and your biggest coat). And of course it is always, always, always better to wait at the airport for three hours than to miss your flight, so know the way you are getting to the airport and plan for traffic, people!
There are less advertised tips, however. My first and biggest tip to anyone traveling abroad is to try out the local language. Most places I have been to truly appreciate it when you try their language, even if you butcher it. When I lived in Georgia I tried my best to speak Georgian. Although I had an atrocious accent and I am sure I mispronounced nearly everything people were very happy and surprised to hear me try their language. It was the same in most countries I have visited or lived. The more difficult the language, the more appreciated the attempt.
The main thing about traveling is to be adventurous! Take risks! Have fun! Don't spend your days cooped up in a hotel room. Is that what you are traveling for? I'd bet not. I'd be willing to bet that people who are traveling are doing so to see the world and gain new experiences. So when you travel do that. Get new experiences, go new places, try new things, and meet new people. Look at what local people are eating and drinking and doing, but don't just watch. Try those things out yourself, it's worth the risk.
There are less advertised tips, however. My first and biggest tip to anyone traveling abroad is to try out the local language. Most places I have been to truly appreciate it when you try their language, even if you butcher it. When I lived in Georgia I tried my best to speak Georgian. Although I had an atrocious accent and I am sure I mispronounced nearly everything people were very happy and surprised to hear me try their language. It was the same in most countries I have visited or lived. The more difficult the language, the more appreciated the attempt.
The main thing about traveling is to be adventurous! Take risks! Have fun! Don't spend your days cooped up in a hotel room. Is that what you are traveling for? I'd bet not. I'd be willing to bet that people who are traveling are doing so to see the world and gain new experiences. So when you travel do that. Get new experiences, go new places, try new things, and meet new people. Look at what local people are eating and drinking and doing, but don't just watch. Try those things out yourself, it's worth the risk.
No comments:
Post a Comment